Sunday, August 15, 2010

Blessed to be me

This week has been such a roller coaster of emotions but filled with more blessings than I could even imagine.  The week started with Eric going back to the doctor for tests to try and figure out what is going on with his poor little tummy.  This cancelled out our plans to got to the water park with some friends, but Eric had to come first.  Then after a few days of an under-the-weather two year old, I was getting some pretty serious cabin fever. 

Wednesday we got to go play with Alex's best friend and her baby sister while their mommy went to work.  I love watching Alex and his friends play, but oh the things they say to each other crack me up.  At one point in the afternoon the two of them were building "robots' with blocks.  Alex's was tall and mighty and stomped around.  Alex's friend (a girl) made a cute little robot.  She slid hers over to his, Alex took one look at her little robot and rammed his into hers, popping its head right off, along with lots of sound effects!  She then looked at him straight in the eye and said, "I just wanted to talk!"  Oh the difference between boys and girls!  Alex always tells me he is going to marry her in he big temple :)  Well, this week he told me he wasn't sure if she would marry him because, "she knows rock stars."  The two of them keep me laughing.

Later in the week we continued to get Alex ready to start preschool with a new backpack and lunchbox!  I can't believe my baby is growing up so fast!  Eric really wanted a backpack too, so I dug one out of the closet for him.  I hope he copes with not having his brother around for a few hours a week when school starts.  Eric has to do everything Alex does and more.  Lately Eric wants to climb EVERYTHING!  The kid has gotten more bumps, bruises, and bloody lips in the last few days than in the last two years.

Saturday night was a blast!  We had some friends over to play.  Some played the Wii, some played board games, and the kids played with every single toy we own!  The house was filled with laughter, smiles, food, and tons of fun!  Hopefully one day we will have a slightly larger living room where everyone can fit and we aren't tripping over each other.  I was able to experiment with cake balls and they seemed to be a hit!  Yay for new ideas!

Earlier in the day on Saturday the boys and I went to Lowes to make a craft together!  Eric sure does love hammers!  Afterwards we were driving home and came to a stoplight.  There on the side of the road were some demonstrators supporting the new Arizona law about proof of citizenship.  The people were peacefully holding signs and American flags.  Alex saw these people and asked me what they were doing.  I then explained that in another state there was a law trying to be made that makes people prove that they belong in this country.  There are some people who do not have permission to be here and some people believe that they need to leave and get permission to be here.  Those people are standing up for what they believe and supporting those people who are making this law.  Alex then amazed me when he said, "Just like the Nephites and the Lamenites."  I then asked what he meant, and this was his answer..."Captain Moroni made a flag that said what he believed.  Then he told everyone he saw what he believed and he wanted them to believe the same thing.  Then the Nephites made a law that said that if you lived in their land you had to follow the laws and believe in Heavenly Father, and if you didn't follow the laws in the land you went to jail or died."  This brought tears to my eyes as I realized the blessings I have to raise a child, teach him, and learn from him.  This also helped me know that our little morning scripture studies pay off and he does hear me and understand, even if I feel like he is just playing with his Cheerios.  I love being a mommy so much!  I love the opportunity my children have to see people express their freedoms and liberties peacefully and for them to see that it is okay to stand up for what you believe and to stand firm in your decisions and opinions.

Today was a typical Sunday.  Pretty peaceful morning, crazy Primary, and a quiet drive after church.  I also did the happy dance this morning as I stepped on the scale and realized that I have now lost 20 pounds and I am down one size!  Hooray!  I knew that going into this diet it would be difficult and there was a chance it wouldn't work.  I approached it in prayer, received a blessing, and adapted it to the Word of Wisdom.  I knew that if I followed the Lord's commands and relied on Him for strength, then I would be blessed.  I am now halfway through and I am ready to face the next 20 days with a firm conviction and testimony of the Word of Wisdom.  That I "shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint." (D&C 89:20)

I feel so blessed and I am excited for the next week.  On the agenda we have shopping, laundry, cake balls, story time, doctor's appointment, car inspected, Waco, then to League City to see GiGi, friends, a wedding reception, the beach, and whatever else I can!  Until next week...

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy for you Calie! Keep up the great work, you are an amazing Mother and an example to me in so many ways. Love You! Miss You!

    ReplyDelete